Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Life in Bavaria and the horse paddock

I have lived a pretty nice and natural life back in Bavaria, I have taken care of 2 horses on a quite large horse paddock on top of a hill surrounded by forests and small little villages. 
It was a very interesting piece of land, lots of herbs were growing on it, wild leeks, yarrow, german chamomile, poppy, stinging nettles.... although I was not allowed to dig holes into the soil. It still is protected property, you can find remnants of both the celts and the roman empire there... pottery and so on.

I enjoyed activities such as making hay with a scythe in order to feed the horses with fresh made hay on there. You could also grow a lot of vegetables on a big pile of compost... lots of cucumbers, pumpkins and squash were growing there. They loved that place. I have not only spent most of my free time, enjoying the silence a long with my 2 horses, but I also took the opportunity to experiment a little bit on the cabin (installing solar panels on the roof), growing vegetables and exploring very old knowledge such as the native americans did with growing squash, beans and corn in the same spot on the property and so on...

The winters were really cold up there, minus 25 C was common and not unusual, and most of the time, the solar panels did not work that well during the cold and dark winter time, which is why I have used a simple and old diesel generator for electricity in the cabin, where I have stored hay, scythe, the food for the horses, equipment, etc.

Now that I have moved to the United States and I do not reside in Germany any longer, I look back with very fond memories of these places and of course, the horses.